Low-fat and super easy to make, this healthy recipe for vegan curry is perfect for a weeknight dinner. It’s a plant-based spin on vegan mattar paneer, a popular Indian recipe traditionally made with cottage cheese – just swap the cheese for tofu, and dig in! You can follow SpiceBox Organics for more awesome recipe ideas.
- 300g tofu
- 130g frozen garden peas
- 400g canned tomatoes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp peeled ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 120 ml coconut milk (regular or reduced-fat)
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt plus pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1⁄2 tsp cumin powder
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- Start by preparing the tofu. Drain it well, wrap it in a paper towel and squeeze gently to remove any excess water. Cube the tofu and set aside.
- In a pot, heat 3 tbsps of oil, add the bay leaf, garlic, ginger and onion and fry on medium heat for a minute, stirring often.
- Add garam masala, cumin and turmeric and continue frying for another minute or so, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. In the meantime, heat 2 tbsps of oil in a separate large pan and fry tofu over medium heat until golden brown (about 2 minutes on each side).
- Remove sauce from heat, discard the bay leaf and puree the sauce.
- Add coconut milk, cilantro, tofu and frozen peas. Reheat the dish and adjust the seasoning if needed, and serve!
Pro tip: Enjoy warm with naan, rice or some warm crusty bread!
Get more healthy recipe ideas from our Recipe section!