Mooncake season might be right around the corner, but we’ve got our minds on mochi and mochi on our minds! This recipe for Chinese-style mochi is gluten-free and too easy to make. Try making it and experimenting with different healthy fillings, like vegan ice cream, fruit or low-GI peanut butter.
- 180g glutinous rice flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 100g roasted peanuts, crushed
- 100g sugar
- Mix glutinous rice and tapioca flours with water to form a batter.
- Transfer batter to a pan, using cooking oil to lightly grease. Steam on high heat using a steamer, breadmaker or stovetop wok with cover, for 10-15 minutes.
- Check center of the dough to check that its cooked through; it should be springy and chewy.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Mix peanuts and sugar evenly in a bowl.
- Using a knife, cut into squares or balls, adding healthy filling inside if you wish. Roll the mochi in the coating, then serve!
Pro tip: Remember not to eat too quickly. Mochi can be a choking hazard!
Find more healthy recipes in our Recipe section here!