Looking for a healthy shortbread recipe ahead of the holiday season? Butterfly pea flowers, found at Hong Kong Organic Farm in Fanling, give this classic cookie recipe a gorgeous splash of colour and cuts out the refined sugar. Use Christmas-themed cookie cutters to make them festive! Follow Divya Butani on Instagram at @theveggiewifey for more healthy vegetarian recipes. Serves 4-6.
1 cup of unsalted butter
½ cup of organic coconut palm sugar (or more if you prefer sweeter)
2 cups of self-rising flour
2-3 butterfly pea flowers petals, picked
1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mix butter and sugar together, until soft.
- Add the flour and mix it all together.
- Roll the dough into a cylinder, about 1.5 inches in diameter
- Wrap with beeswax wrap, or another eco-friendly alternative, and allow to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cylinder of dough, and slice into 1cm rounds.
- Place one petal on each circle of dough, and brush with egg white.
- Place on a baking tray sprinkled with flour.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for 10-20 minutes before serving.
*Pro tip! Dust with confectioners’ sugar for an extra festive flourish!*
For more healthy recipes, visit our Recipe section.