Mediterranean Brussels Sprouts
By Jonathan Kan, The Fresh Supply Company
(Serves two to three people as a side dish)
Brussel sprouts are super low GI and are packed full of vitamins and minerals, and while they get a bad rap, the humble Brussels sprout is delicious when dressed up. This recipe takes inspiration from the bold flavors of the Mediterranean region, and combines it with the fresh, sweet taste of these crunchy mini brassica. Trust us – it’s delicious!
300g Brussels sprouts
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4-5 olive oil-canned anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
2 tbsps raisins
Five shelled walnuts,
2 tbsps olive oil
1 small sprig fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Blanch the Brussels sprouts in boiling water for around 3 minutes.
- Place in a colander and rinse in cold water to stop them from overcooking. Set aside.
- Get started on your sauce. Add the olive oil to a pan on a medium-high heat. Fry the garlic and walnuts until golden-brown.
- Add the anchovies and mix for around 30 seconds.
- Stir in the raisins and switch off the heat.
- Add the cooked Brussel sprouts to the pan and mix well.
- Pour the contents of the pan into a serving bowl and sprinkle parsley on top to finish. For a finishing touch, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top.